Nick Hilden writes reviews and recommendations coverage of fitness, outdoor and tech gear for Popular Science. He’s spent over a decade writing about lifestyle and culture topics for a slew of publications, including Scientific American, the Los Angeles Times, Vice, and Men’s Health, among others.
- Veteran writer, editor, and reviewer.
- Expert on all things relating to travel, fitness, outdoor adventure, vehicles, entertainment, and more.
- Bylines include Scientific American, Runner’s World, the Los Angeles Times, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Vice, Men’s Health, Salon, the Manual, Fodor’s, Popular Mechanics, Greatist, Healthline, and too many others to list.
ExperienceOver the course of his career, Nick Hilden has lived in and written about a slew of exciting places all over the world, and has maintained a passion for health and fitness, art and entertainment, and outdoor adventure every step of the way. As a freelance writer, he’s had the opportunity to work on an extremely wide range of exciting stories for many prestigious publications, including Scientific American, Runner’s World, the Los Angeles Times, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Vice, Men’s Health, Salon, the Manual, Fodor’s, Popular Mechanics, and many others. A fitness fanatic, frequent flier, relentless road-tripper, on-again-off-again working musician, avid outdoorsman, and general tech enthusiast, he is always out there trying as many new things as possible.
EducationNick attended the exceedingly offbeat Evergreen State College where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing and Literature.
Favorite weird science factOne of the most powerful, expensive, controversial substances in history – LSD – was discovered entirely by accident when chemist Albert Hoffman got what he thought was a mere analeptic on his fingertips. To borrow a phrase from Bob Ross, what a happy accident.
- Future Space Travel Might Require Mushrooms: An Interview with Paul Stamets Scientific American
- How to Actually Get Work Done While You Travel Thrillist
- See Why Van-Lifers Love the Jackery 1500 Portable Power Station Daily Beast
- We Went a Few Rounds with FightCamp Greatist
- Should You Smoke Weed Before a Workout? Some Athletes Think So Men's Health
- Portfolio Nick Hilden