Sarah Jones is a Bay Area-based writer and musician who has been chronicling the creative and technical forces driving the music industry for 25 years. She’s served as Editor-in-Chief of Mix, EQ, and Electronic Musician magazines and was the live sound editor at Live Design magazine; her articles have also appeared in Gearspace, Keyboard, and Berklee Today, as well as on grammy.com.
ExperienceIn addition to contributing to both trade and consumer publications, Sarah produces content for professional audio brands like JBL, Auto-Tune, AKG, Soundcraft, Polk Audio, and Definitive Technologies and is the architecture, engineering, and construction section editor at Redshift, Autodesk’s magazine about the future of making things. A passionate industry advocate, she recently completed her 11th year as an elected governor of the San Francisco chapter of the Recording Academy and was Associate Director of Women's Audio Mission, a San Francisco-based nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of women in the recording arts. Her book, Assistant Engineer Handbook: Gigs In the Recording Studio and Beyond, has been required coursework at Berklee College of Music and Wichita State University. Sarah can often be found interviewing artists on the Grammy red carpet, moderating panels at pro audio tradeshows, or performing in a flute-and-guitar duo at wineries in the Sierra foothills of Northern California.
EducationSarah holds Bachelor of Music degrees in Sound Recording Technology and Music Business from the University of Massachusetts Lowell. She’s a longtime member of the Recording Academy and the Audio Engineering Society.
Favorite weird science factIt turns out that skyquakes, mysterious loud rumbles that boom from the sky for no apparent reason, are real. No one is sure what causes them but crashing waves, meteors, and military jets are prime suspects.
- The ‘Southern Blood’ Sessions: Gregg Allman Returns to Muscle Shoals to Record his Musical Farewell Mix
- ‘The Iceman Cometh’ on Broadway: A Historic Soundscape Sets the Tone for an American Tragedy Live Design
- Access the World’s Most Sought-After Analog Audio Gear From Anywhere—With a Little Help From Robots Gearspace
- ‘Master of Puppets’: Inside the Studio Sessions for Metallica’s Classic Thrash Anthem Mix
- Math, Music and the Matrix: How Live Coding Expresses Music as Math, and Math as Music The Henry Ford Magazine
- Portfolio Sarah Jones